[Ji Guan]

I have officially eaten the weirdest thing I've ever had in my whole life.

Lauren, Josie, and I went out with a teacher friend of ours to one of the Nantou City night markets. While we were there, Cindy bought some interesting things from a little stand which we foreigners refer to as 'the parts place.' Basically all they sell at this particular kind of stand is weird animal parts. Lauren innocently asked what Cindy had bought. Cindy poked her skewer into the bag and pulled it out waving a white piece of something in Lauren's face.
"What is it?" Lauren asked, leaning back.
"A rooster - here." Cindy motioned over her head.

It was a rooster comb.

Lauren looked at it and then popped it into her mouth. I was astounded.

Next Cindy held a piece in front of ME! I involuntarily did a weird hop dance thing in a circle, looked at the part warily for a second (no longer!), and stuck the awful thing in my mouth.

I chewed.

I chewed some more.

It broke into little bits, like dry cottage cheese that won't - chew! The taste wasn't bad, because the sauce it had been cooked in was good. For me the hardest thing to get down was the thought of what I was eating. My family has a rooster..!

I glanced over at Lauren - who was still chewing.

I swallowed as quick as I could.

Nasty.

posted under |

6 shouts:

April said...

Ack! Ack! Ack! Aaaaaack! Was this experience part of the weekend that you were anticipating with such relish?!!

Anonymous said...

Celia...You are brave!

Living Faith said...

That really is gross, Ceals! I don't think I would have done it - pig intestine is probably as far as I'll ever go...but maybe if there was a dare involved :P

Celia said...

Mom: No, it wasn't planned. ;)

Sarah: The main think is start chewing BEFORE the grossness registers in your brain.

Hannahness: Oh... dares are a completely different thing altogether, especially if there's money involved! I would totally eat a whole one all by myself for $50. :P

Living Faith said...

Are you talking $50 American or Taiwanese?

Celia said...

haha, very funny. American - durr!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

speak

Remember: you don't need a blogspot account to leave a comment on my blog!
If you'd like to comment on a photo, please click on the slideshow above. Thank you!
Taipei

Recent Comments