[Crutches]

For the first time in my life, I'm on crutches.

Tuesday I was racing with my third graders (including Candy) during the break right before the first class of the afternoon. The playground had been undergoing some construction so there was some uneven dirt at the end of the track, instead of the usual grass. The finish line was only about ten feet from the end of the track. As I slowed down after my victory (well, come on - they're in third grade... :P), I jogged off the track onto the dirt beyond it.

Ouch.

I twisted my ankle.

I've twisted my ankle before. I thought, 'oh wow, that kinda hurt, but no big deal.' I played with the kids for a couple more minutes before the bell rang and they headed back to class. I went to get some water. I finished out my afternoon trying to hide my limp, but I had no idea how bad the sprain actually was.

I like having my shoes tied very tightly. Because of this my ankle didn't swell at all until I got home from school and took my shoes off. By that evening, my foot was huge. Corrie glibly commented that I had a "softball" on my foot.

My trip to the hospital felt like something from a sitcom. The nurse was a high-pitched woman with dyed-red, super curly hair who was probably the most spaztic, least calm nurse that there is. She came bumbling into the room, squeaking as she came. Next came the doctor.
"Does THIS hurt?" he asked as he jabbed his finger into my very swollen left ankle.
I almost went through the ceiling.
"YES!" I almost yelped, "And if you do that again I'm going to chop your hand off - or at least bite it." Then I realized that he had been speaking English... oh well, at least now he was warned. He didn't poke my ankle anymore.
Next Lauren wheeled me to the x-ray room. I was pretty sure nothing was broken, but it would be nice to know for sure.
"Do you have pain here?" asked the x-ray technician as he lifted and moved my foot around.
"Yes! Pain! Lots of pain!" I managed between gasps.

Needless to say, one of the vast differences between Taiwanese and American hospitals is the gentleness factor. I've had surgery in the States on my right foot. I had x-rays, exams, the actual surgery, and physical therapy. American medical care is gentle. Taiwanese - not so much. That's socialized medicine for you. We don't need it in America.

Even amid the jabs and jolts, I had fun. It was a novel sort of thing to be wheel-chaired around in a hospital in a foreign country with a minor injury. Especially when you know exactly what's wrong and the doctor is trying to figure it out. He gave me so many pain meds... and I have yet to touch them.

I'm so grateful to the Lord that nothing broke or tore in my foot. I'll probably only be on crutches through Sunday or Tuesday. My kids have been so cute about getting my lunch for me and carrying my dongxi (stuff). Hopefully my ankle will be fully healed and strong again in about a month.

posted under |

1 shouts:

Gwennie said...

Wow Celia, that must be really painful! It sounds like your students are taking good care of you though. :)
We'll be praying for a quick recovery!
God Bless You!
-Gwennie

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

speak

Remember: you don't need a blogspot account to leave a comment on my blog!
If you'd like to comment on a photo, please click on the slideshow above. Thank you!
Taipei

Recent Comments